Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tiki Barber Compares Himself to Anne Frank

Tiki Barber
Tiki Barber, the former New York Giants running back and future Hall of Famer had this to say about a recent situation he was in. "Lep's Jewish. And it was like a reverse Anne Frank thing." "Lep" is his agent who's full name is Mark Lepselter. 

So what horrific situation could Barber have been in to feel like he could compare himself to Anne Frank?

Lepselter allowed Barber to stay in his attic after he broke up with his pregnant wife and ran away with his girlfriend, Tracy Lynn Johnson.

Anne Frank
Now, I am not typically oversensitive to this type of thing, and I would normally come to the defense of someone saying something like this, but I know a joke when I see one, and this was not a joke. At least, if it was a joke, it wasn't really funny at all, it was simply him comparing his experience of living in an attic to that of Anne Frank's.

I am not going to read any sort of antisemitism into his statements. He clearly does not not have anything against the Jewish people given his past history in which Tiki was a guest of President Shimon Peres in Israel five years ago, but his statement does have a sting of insensitivity. 

I simply cannot buy that a man who runs away from his commitment and responsibility to his wife and child is comparable to Anne Frank's struggle and her family's escape from an army of brainwashed murderers. 

While I am sure his pregnant wife may have seemed like a Nazi when he left her high and dry, I can assure him that no such comparison need be made.

As always I fully encourage any criticism, advice, suggestions, or general discussion in the comment area.
If you wish you can contact me at thecynicalreport@gmail.com, and please like/share my blog on Facebook and Twitter using the links on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment