Thursday, May 5, 2011

Success

 
In High School and for a time after, my success was to get any full-time job and live out the rest of my life. I was the guy who had no aspirations. Anyone that knew me then would claim, and correctly so, that I truly did not give a damn about anything as far as life after High School, even my family would have told you that my plans were to "chill" and go to college. But even as far as college went at the time, I was unmotivated and directionless. 

Two days after High School graduation, I left Michigan to visit some friends in Dallas. Long story short, I fell in love with being in the busy atmosphere and all of the friends I had went to visit were amazing. One of them needed a roommate. I volunteered. But of course to do this, I would need money to pay rent for the apartment I would be moving into. And to do this, I would need a job. But this would be no problem because I had no self respect or ambitions, so as long as whatever job I could get could pay the bills, I would be fine with it.

Enter Wal-Mart

I had put out over 100 applications at one point. Two interviews and a few phone calls later, I was now a Wal-Mart employee, and I was living the dream.  Making $9.40 an hour working overnight. Spend my nights working my ass off (working there was NOT easy) and spend my days just chilling with my best friends. It was the life. However, somewhere between getting yelled at for having overtime and getting yelled at for cutting my overtime, I became disenfranchised with my working conditions. The dream had started to fade, and it was time for me to say goodbye to my friends (knowing I would be back some day) and head back to Michigan where I would begin the next step on my way to self-actualization.


Success at this point had taken a dramatic turn for me, for the better, but not by much. I knew at the time I entered college that I no longer wished to work for any sort of large corporation. I will be damned if I am ever just a number to some random big business ever again. It was the most dehumanizing and degrading thing I've ever been a part of, and I made a vow to myself at the time when I left Wal-Mart that I would not repeat it. 

So I had that. I knew that whatever I did, I would enjoy that, and enjoy chilling in my free time. During my first semester in college, I went through a few renditions of what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. The first was some type of auto mechanic, my uncle owns a shop in Beaumont, Texas and I would be guaranteed a job there. So this choice was practical, but after hearing a few people around me talk cars, I realized that I could not care less about cars or how they work, much less how to fix them, so that was out. The next plan was to be a medical marijuana dispensary owner. I was completely serious about this one, but after looking into it and assessing the risks involved as far as legality, combined with the fact that I would be stuck in this Godforsaken state, I decided that this would not be the life for me.

Me
And that is where we are at now. One week removed from my first semester at college in which I got a 4.0 (see, I'm not dumb, just not motivated), and I have a real dream of success, but this one is much more serious than any previous ideas. I've decided I want to write. This fulfills two of my needs in a career; mobility, and self management. I do not know if this is realistic, but what dreams are? This is the first dream I have ever really had, and I plan to run with it. This will be my success. 

So if you are one of my returning readers, please, hold on tight, and enjoy the ride with me. And if you are new, and this is the first post you have read of mine, welcome, I am ecstatic to have you.

--Kameron

As always I fully encourage any criticism, advice, suggestions, or general discussion in the comment area.
If you wish you can contact me at thecynicalreport@gmail.com, and please like/share my blog on Facebook and Twitter using the links on the side!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to know a little bit more about your background. Helps with the understanding of where you're coming from a bit. Also would have made a great first blog.

    Oh and if you ever need an AWESOME back up job/hobby/something to do for an extra buck: Firefighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Kam. Look forward to the next post. I agree with Granger, would have made a nice first post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats cool man! Hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete